I have been working on a piece for a few weeks now and it still looks like yuck to me.
I started out gluing some tissue paper that I had used to wipe paint and ink on. Then I added acrylic paint, used modeling paste over a brick stencil, and added dot stamp with ink. This is what it looked like, yuck.
I pondered this page for awhile thinking how to liven it up. I stenciled some flowers with Tim Holtz Ranger distress paints: twisted citron, fossilized amber, and add salty ocean for a sky effect. I also used some white gesso for some clouds. Next will be to add some text, but I will think on it.